I originally got this recipe from Sophistimom, who gives a great tutorial on how to cut heart shaped carrots like I did. They are much easier than they look, and they add so much more "love" to this recipe!
Chicken Soup with Heart-Shaped Carrots
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- three large carrots, cut into hearts (see instructions above)
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 2 celery stalks, sliced into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 cups low sodium chicken stock (Kitchen Basics Chicken Stock is what I normally use)
- 2-3 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon vinegar
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 large chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 1/2 pound small pasta, such as farfalle or rotini
- fresh parsley (if desired)
- In a large pot set over medium-low heat, combine olive oil, carrot hearts, diced onion, celery, thyme (both kinds), bay leaf, and sage. Sprinkle with a pinch of kosher salt. Cook until tender, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes. Add in stock, a cup of water, and vinegar. Add in cayenne pepper, and bring to a boil. After about 20 minutes, check the soup for flavor, and add more water, salt and pepper, as necessary. Add shredded chicken to the soup to give the chicken a better flavor.
- In each individual bowl, place the desired amount of pasta, cover with a ladle of the soup, and top with parsley.