December 9, 2013

Momogramed Red Velvet Cake Pops


To start off my blog and the holiday season, I thought these cake pops would be a great first post!

To tell you a little bit about my self, I have always loved baking. I can remember when I was little baking with my mom and my grandma, and now about 12 years later I have improved quite a bit in both my baking and decorating skills! 

Another fun fact about myself, I am OBSESSED with monograms. Like Reese Witherspoon says, "My rule is, if it's not moving, monogram it!" 

I recently ordered a Silhouette Cameo and I love using it for all of my monogramming projects! One of my favorite projects will by posted shortly, so check back soon. 

So now you can probably understand where the name for this blog came from, two of my favorite things! But enough about me for now, it's time to share this super easy red velvet cake pop tutorial with you. 

I originally learned how to make cake pops from Bakerella's blog. She is the Queen of Cake Pops! I highly suggest going to look through her pictures for some inspiration. Or even buying her book (listed at the bottom of this post), which is amazing!

If this is your first time making cake pops or maybe the first time you've even heard of cake pops, you've come to the right place!

There are two variations of cake pops: bake-in-pan cake pops or cake-and-icing cake pops. I am blogging about the cake-and-icing kind, which are pretty self explanatory. You bake a normal 9x13 sheet cake, and mix it with icing!

The first step to making these cake pops, is getting together the ingredients. All you need is a box of cake mix (any flavor you want), a can of icing (something that goes with the cake flavor), and candy coating. I prefer to use almond bark for a white or chocolate coating, or Wilton Candy Melts for a colored coating. Melted chocolate chips or chocolate bars might work to, but in my experience candy coating works MUCH better!

Now you are ready to bake the cake. Just follow the instructions on the box and bake in a 9x13 pan. Once you take the cake out of the oven, let it cool completely. I normally put mine in the freezer for about 30 minutes.

Once the cake is cooled, its time to get messy! That beautiful cake you just baked, break it to pieces. Yepp... you read that right. Break the cake up in pieces and put it in a large bowl.

Add the entire can of icing to your cake pieces and stir, stir, stir! This step can take some arm strength if you're using a spoon, but you can also use your hands if you really want to get messy. I think using my hands is easier because everything comes together faster, but I hate the mess so I normally use a silicon spatula.

Keep stirring until there are no icing streaks and no cake pieces visible. It should look like a sticky, soft dough.

Now its time to make the cake balls! I use a rounded tablespoon to make mine all about the same size, and I roll them with my hands. Again, a big mess. And if you're using red velvet cake mix, you'll look like you've been caught red handed! Ha ha ha... okay, maybe not so funny.


Then you put them in the freezer for about  15 minutes. While they're in the freezer melt you candy coating and get you lollipop sticks ready. Take them out of the freezer, dip a stick in candy coating and then gently push it into the center of the cake pop. Put the cake pops with the stick back in the freezer for a few minutes. Take them out and dip them in the melted candy coating; I use a spoon to help cover the tops. Just remember to be gentle! Or this could be a really bad experience, as in all of the cake pops will fall off the sticks. And trust me, that is not fun.


And last but not least, decorate how ever you wish! Although, I suggest monograms. (: 


Red Velvet Cake Pops
Makes 36-40

Ingredients:

  • 1 box red velvet cake mix (or any flavor)
  • 1 can cream cheese icing (again, any flavor)
  • 32 oz. candy coating (almond bark, candy melts, etc.)
  • lollipop sticks
  • decorations

Directions 

  1. Bake the cake mix according to the directions on the box. 
  2. Let the cake cool completely; you can put it in the freezer for about 30 minutes and it will be cool
  3. Break the cake up into pieces in a large bowl. 
  4. Add the entire can of icing, and stir until completely mixed together. 
  5. Use your hands to shape about a tablespoon of cake dough into a ball. 
  6. Place cake balls on a parchment lined plate or baking sheet and put in the freezer for 10-15 minutes. 
  7. Melt the candy coating in a microwave safe bowl, in 15 second increments. 
  8. Take cake balls out of the freezer. 
  9. Dip the end of the lollipop stick into the candy coating and gently push into the center of the cake balls. 
  10. Place back in the freezer for 3-5 minutes. 
  11. Remove from the freezer again and dip the cake pops into the candy coating; I use a spoon to help cover the tops of the cake pops. 
  12. Place either upside down on parchment paper to dry, or right side up in a cake pop stand. I did mine both ways because I didn't have enough room on the stand for all of them. 
  13. Decorate as you wish and that's it! 

Tips:

  • Don't skip the freezing step after putting the sticks in. The cake pops will fall off the stick and you will be ready to pull your hair out!
  • Reheat your candy melts to keep them at a smooth consistency while you're dipping your cake pops. This will make it easier on you and they will look better!
  • If you want to use homemade cake and icing, add the icing in small increments. You can always add more icing but if you add to much they will be ruined!


3 comments: